Running OC as Root: Security Implications?

Orin L. orinlunder at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 08:34:26 EDT 2012

Hello All,

I have read that any "internet facing" user application should not be
run with root privileges.  The OpenConnect website seems to reflect
this sentiment by touting the ability of OpenConnect to run without
root privileges.  As a very security-conscious user, I feel a bit
uneasy about executing a networking application (OpenConnect VPN
client) as root.  Could running OpenConnect as root open my desktop
system to potential security threats?  (I'm aware that the
network-manager plugin allows avoidance of root-privileged execution,
but I do not wish to install network-manager on my system.)

Thanks,

OL