Best practices for scripting openconnect

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sat Jun 16 20:10:28 EDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-06-16 at 16:55 -0700, Jon Dufresne wrote:
> While connected to VPN my non-VPN network continued to work properly.

Really? You sure you weren't routing packets for the Internet via the
VPN rather than your local network?

> I then killed openconnect as the non-privileged user. After successful
> shutdown, I was unable to use the non-VPN network interface. Any idea
> why this might be and steps I could take to fix this? I'd be happy to
> provide any output or diagnostic if you think that would help.

My first guess is that your default route was set to go via the VPN,
which worked OK until you killed openconnect. And since openconnect
dropped root privs, it couldn't put the default route *back* again.

Can you show output of 'ip route list' from
 - Before you connect (when it's working)
 - While connected
 - After disconnect (when it's not working)