OpenConnect & Firefox in Ubuntu Linux

Ben Kietzman ben at kietzman.org
Wed Jan 18 21:32:46 EST 2012

David,

Doing the split tunneling did not help, but I did find out some
interesting information.  I was watching the Firefox profile
directories and files.  I noticed that the Firefox profile directory
(ex:  /home/ben/.mozilla/firefox/e1mljmbg.default) kept getting wiped
out every time I established an OpenConnect VPN connection.  The
directory itself remains, but it was emptied of all content.  Even
more interesting was that all this took place without Firefox ever
being launched.  The profile directory was full of files and
directories before connecting with OpenConnect and then empty after
the connection was established.  This all happened without ever
launching Firefox.

I have no idea what would be causing this, but something is triggering
it.  I also found out that I could keep this from happening if I chmod
the profile directory (ex:  e1mljmbg.default) from 700 to 500 in order
to remove write permissions on that directory.

You mentioned that OpenConnect has nothing to do with the Firefox
directories.  Could it be an issue with the Network Manager since it
would be responsible for running OpenConnect from the GUI?  Hmm...I
will keep digging into it.  Thanks again for your help thus far.

Ben Kietzman
ben at kietzman.org