VPN Server list/backup server option

Peter Ordonez peter.ordonez at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 08:04:43 EST 2012

This is a bit old school, but you might want to try using expect for
this instead of bash.  I think expect would support a more robust
solution (e.g., login error checking) and address the nasty
stdin/stdout/tty issues.  A similar expect script might look something
like the following:

#!/usr/bin/env expect

set hosts {host1 host2}
set password ""
set username ""

proc tryConnect {hostname} {
    global username
    global password
    set timeout -1
    spawn /usr/bin/openconnect --script /etc/vpnc/vpnc-script
--no-cert-check https://${hostname}
    expect {
        "Login error." {
            set username ""
            set password ""
            exp_continue
        }
        "USERNAME:" {
            if {$username == ""} {
                expect_user -re "(.*)\n" {
                    set username $expect_out(1,string)
                }
            }
            exp_send "$username\r"
            exp_continue
        }
        "Password:" {
            if {$password == ""} {
                stty -echo
                expect_user -re "(.*)\n" {
                    set password $expect_out(1,string)
                }
                stty echo
            }
            exp_send "$password\r"
            exp_continue
        }
    }
}

foreach host $hosts {
   tryConnect $host
   puts "Connecting lost.  Trying $host..."
}