openconnect automation

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Fri Aug 31 07:35:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 15:53 -0400, Mcclelland, Michael B Mr CTR USN USA
wrote:
> I noticed that a few threads had sprung up regarding automating
> open-connect login so I was wondering if that extended to smart card
> based logins.  If that were possible I could throw a simple Zenity
> dialog in front of openconnect so that my users could avoid the
> command line.

You certainly shouldn't need to use the command line. If you're using
NetworkManager, everything should work using the standard UI for
connecting VPNs.

If you're not using NetworkManager, then you can still abuse its
authentication dialog for OpenConnect, which is a separate program. You
just have to feed it the right data on stdin for the network you want it
to connect to, and parse its output. You could knock up a script which
does that, and run it from an icon on the users' desktops.