Openconnect non-regular exit issue

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Nov 30 13:20:06 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 18:54 +0100, Kristian Nyborg Dahl wrote:
> If I just close the terminal emulation window without pressing ctrl+c to
> exit openconnect first, my normal network connection becomes unusable for
> my browsers.

This is almost certainly just because the /etc/resolv.conf file, that
tells the system where to find its nameservers, is still telling it to
look for the servers which are on the VPN... which of course it can't
find. So you'll have working *IP* connectivity, and can reach things by
their numeric address, but DNS lookups will fail.

> The strange thing is that for example skype continues to be
> able to connect.

So Skype is probably making its connection by *number* not by name? Or
at least falling back to doing so?

>  A machine restart does not help, so I have solved it by
> formatting the root partition and reinstalling the system twice.
>
> Is there at least an explanation for this and an easier way to fix this
> problem after it happened (I will probably not be able to avoid making
> this mistake again some time)?

You could install the NetworkManager-openconnect package (see bug
#729085) and then you wouldn't have to run it from the command line in
the first place?