reconnect script

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun May 29 04:33:52 EDT 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-28 at 22:27 -0500, Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet)
wrote:
> I tried to compile a package for Openwrt last time, and it didn't go
> very well. I spent a great deal of time, and made little progress. I
> believe that is why I'm running a patched version.

I don't think your current problem is related to the fact that you're
running v2.25.

> >> After about 3 days, I lose all connectivity between the devices on my
> >> 192.168.1.x subnet. The devices can still get to the internet, still get
> >> to the remote vpn subnets, but cannot see each other.
> > How are the machines connected to one another? And if they can still
> > happily see everything but each other, wtf is your 'ping 10.85.0.1'
> > doing?
> >
> All the machines at my house are connected by wifi to the Openwrt box.
> Openwrt has the vpn connection to remote office. All home machines are
> on the 192.168.1.X subnet. 10.85.0.1 is a router IP at my corporate
> office I ping to check if the VPN connection is up or not.

OK, but you said that when the problem happens, they can still get to
the remote VPN subnets. So this 'ping 10.85.0.1' check would still be
*working*, and thus fail to detect the problem?

Or did I misunderstand, and your 'reconnect script' isn't actually
solving the problem with the 192.168.1.x hosts on the wireless not being
able to talk to each other? Except that when it *happens* to trigger
because the VPN goes down, that somehow solves the (unrelated?) wlan
issue?

It sounds like this is an OpenWRT routing problem. If hosts on your
*wireless* cannot see each other, that really shouldn't be anything to
do with openconnect. If restarting openconnect 'fixes' it then that
really makes me suspect the routing setup, because that's all that
openwer will really change. So I'll need to see those routing tables in
all three cases.