OpenConnect 3.15 Debian Squeeze Issue

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Dec 1 18:06:39 EST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 18:56 +0000, Sposato,Vincent wrote:
> ./openconnect: error while loading shared libraries:
> libopenconnect.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory. I have checked my path, and the /usr/local/lib directory is in
> there. Can anyone provide assistance as to what I might be doing wrong?
> Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The $PATH variable does not affect the locations for shared libraries;
that's only for *programs*. To affect the search for shared libraries,
you have to use an LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, or the /etc/ld.so.conf file
(which probably in turn just includes /etc/ld.so.conf.d/*).

It sounds like /usr/local/lib isn't in the default search path for
libraries on your system.

Although one wonders why you're forced to build your own version of
OpenConnect for Debian... is the package maintainer slacking?
Distributions should be carrying at least 3.12 because that includes
important compatibility fixes — and if 3.12 work on your OS and speaks
your language, then there's little point in updating past that. Unless
you want it to coherently warn you when your certificate is about to
expire, I suppose :)