Compiling on OSX

seph seph at directionless.org
Thu Aug 11 19:24:04 EDT 2011

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 at infradead.org> writes:

>> Hi all, I'm having some trouble compiling on osx (snow leopard,
>> 10.6). I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.
>
> Do you have pkg-config, automake and libtool installed?

There were a handful of problems relating to the OSX platform putting
things in different places.

Two fairly easy problems:

aclocal needed to be told where to find pkg-config
libtoolize is installed as glibtoolize

And one trickier one.

osx ships zlib natively. But it does not ship pkg-config. Some third
party pkg-configs do not know about the system libraries. Which means
that the check PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ZLIB, zlib) fails. I don't really
understand autoconf, but I replaced it with AC_CHECK_LIB(zlib, zlib) and
it now works for me.

I don't really know autoconf, so I don't know if the way I worked around
these is reasonable. But, I attached what I did as git patches.

seph