Possible bug in vpnc-connect script

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Thu Jan 21 18:32:39 EST 2010

Hi,

we just stumbled about a weird bug in OpenConnect in conjunction with
the vpnc-script from
http://git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/vpnc-scripts.git. Possibly caused
by a misconfiguration on our side, but I think it could be solved pretty
easily in vpnc-script

Our ASA is at the IP address x.x.254.40. It returns

i.e. a wrong netmask. What happens now is do_connect() in vpnc-script
invokes do_ifconfig(), which configures a route to
x.x.48.207/255.255.0.0 = x.x.0.0/16 to the tun interface. After that
do_connect() invokes set_vpngateway_route(), which retrieves the route
for x.x.254.40 (at this moment already pointing to tun0) and sets a
hostroute. And we have a very pretty endless recursion.

Proposed solution: reorder do_ifconfig() and set_vpngateway_route(),
since setting the hostroute to the gateway should always operate on the
previous routingtable.

Very basic git patch attached.

Best Regards,
Bernhard