getaddrinfo failed: Servname not supported for ai_socktype

mk144210 at bcm.edu mk144210 at bcm.edu
Fri Aug 6 19:22:29 EDT 2010

"Matthew Kitchin (public/usenet)" <mkitchin.public at gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 8/6/2010 5:20 PM, Koshelev, Misha Vladislavovich wrote:
>> I will double check but I am actually still using vpnc at this point... :(
>>
>> Thank you
>> Misha
>Me too, but we are trying to get off our old vpn server, and we have
>never been able to get rekeying to work properly with vpnc. We have to
>make it restart every 6 hours or use a ping script to monitor when it
>dies. We have never been able to deploy it outside the IT department. I
>tried to compile openconnect for OpenWRT, but I don't think I'm even
>close to getting it. I would be eternally grateful if someone with more
>experience could give it a shot or give me a tutorial of some sort. I
>don't think the version currently in OpenWRT has a chance of working,
>because it is looking for /etc/services.
Fyi I dont even have a copy of OpenWRT trunk checked out at this point but I have been using vpnc to connect to school VPN for years with exactly a ping script that runs via cron every five minutes.

I will tell you it works remarkably well.

I did package openconnect for OpenWRT but my striking guess is that I went back to VPNC because I could not get openconnect to work better than my ping script set up.

So honestly before you go spending hours on getting it working I would at the very least test it on a regular Linux machine to see if it will actually work any better than vpnc with a ping script set up via crontab.

Just my two cents.
Misha