SSD on the Netwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Sat Apr 20 17:33:48 PDT 2019

On Sat, Apr 20, 2019 at 11:45:56AM -0700, Daniel Gimpelevich wrote:

>Rereading the https://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiPort page, it's unclear
>whether gcc8 tweaks will allow the armel port to support StrongARM as
>v4t. You think it might be possible?

I did not see any mention of gcc8 on that page, did I miss something?

Note that the page is actually fairly old. There have been some recent
cosmetic changes, but no substantive changes since at least 2013. Note
that at that time, gcc-4.1 was considered "current".

As for supporting StrongARM, it seems to me that armel will not support
it. Debian wanted EABI, which makes sense for newer hardware, as it has
much better floating point. But EABI also mandates Thumb interworking,
which means using "bx" instruction. That's not possible on StrongARM.

The original "arm" port, which targeted OABI, is the only one that will
work on StrongARM. However Debian abandoned this after Lenny 5.0.x, for
which security updates ended in 2012.

So that leaves us to build our own. For the binaries I built recently,
they are using EABI but without the Thumb interworking. On StrongARM I
believe that is the best choice, thought I have not done any benchmarks.

* objdump -x for compiled binary:
  private flags = 5000200: [Version5 EABI] [soft-float ABI]

* "file" on compiled binary:
  ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically
  linked, interpreter /lib/ld-uClibc.so.0, with debug_info, not stripped

* "readelf -h | grep Flags"
  Flags:              0x5000200, Version5 EABI, soft-float ABI

Cheers,
-Ralph