SSD on the Netwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Thu Apr 18 06:33:47 PDT 2019

On Wed, Apr 17, 2019 at 10:01:18PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

>That only covered the kernel.  Do we know if userland can be handled
>so simply?

When I tried it a few years back, I did it the 'hard' way: modifying the
makefile of each project to add the extra linker flag. It was very
tedious and I only did a handful of packages.

A better approach is to change the gcc wrapper. I believe that is what
Douglas Paul did (see
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/netwinder/2017-August/000267.html)

And I have noticed that there is a similar patch, for newer gcc, that is
carried in the Yocto/openEmbedded project streams.

>Has -march=armv4 actually gone?

Evidently not yet. Yesterday I built with gcc-7.4.0, and today I have
done another build with gcc-8.3.0. Both versions are producing armv4
binaries without need for any special linker flags.

>Would it be better to use the last GCC that supported -march=v4?  I
>assume that since the loss of support was in the future in 2017, it
>might not be too much of a downgrade.  The LKML message suggests that
>GCC 8.0 would likely be the first compiler without armv4 support.

I had read the same lkml thread, while trying to remember about the
--fix-v4bx option. But I don't think that patch actually got merged into
the mainline.

-Ralph