SSD on the nNetwinder

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Mon Apr 1 08:55:03 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 01:09:06PM +0100, Jon Bradbury wrote:
>Well, I have finally got the base-nw9 kernel booted, after removing
>/dev/hda3 from /etc/fstab anda

Ah yes, I remember getting burned on that a few times...

>After root login, this one is locking up when I try to run a command
>(such as ‘vi .bashrc’). I see no IRQ timeout error messages on my
>console, but I suspect they are being written to a log file or
>/dev/null. It’s odd that it boots, and can read the directory
>information.

I suspect you are actually closer than you think... if you are able to
get booted all the way to a login prompt, then much of the system has
been exercised.. your shell (/bin/bash) and all the basic utilities.

Is it really locked up, or just some issue with the terminal? Can you
pretty ALT-F2, ALT-F3 etc to switch to another console?

Hugh mentioned some of ATA geometry limits, indeed that can be a factor
especially with older kernels. I know we did run 120GB drives on the
netwinder.org site, and that would have been with kernel 2.4.19 or so.
Note that nettrom uses 2.0 kernel so the first step, of loading vmlinux
into memory, could require using a small boot partition.

-Ralph