Project Idea

Andrew E. Mileski andrewm at isoar.ca
Mon Aug 8 15:14:30 PDT 2016

For what it is worth, a project of mine that originated on the NetWinder has
been recently added to GitHub:

math-sll:  A fixed point (31.32 bit) math library.

https://github.com/aemileski/math-sll

I'm close to releasing the next revision too, probably within a week.

I originally wrote it for use with a MP3 player on the NetWinder that was
consuming something like 90% to 94% CPU using the FPU emulator, which dropped to
about 9% to 11% using my fixed-point math.  Last I looked at any MP3 player
source code, they all now used 16 bit fixed-point math, so my math library is no
longer required for that purpose.  However, math-sll is still useful.

It has recently been packaged for the Pebble OS, though an earlier (bugged)
revision has been a part of PebbleGL for a couple of years.  These are both
third-party projects:

https://www.npmjs.com/package/pebble-math-sll

https://github.com/mhungerford/PebbleGL

I once spotted math-sll being used by something for MAME, the Multiple Arcade
Machine Emulator, but I can't find a link to that at the moment.

~~
Andrew E. Mileski