upgrade office server

Jan Rinze janrinze at home.nl
Fri Aug 3 16:54:12 EDT 2007

Hi All,

If you have Sendmail or another mail server setup your server might be doing
email-relay.
Disable relaying in sendmail (or your other mail-server) should stop
spammers from using your mail server for sending spam.

I have seen this before on a Netwinder.. pretty ugly if you get a reprimand
of your ISP..

> Or are you asking about other people who recieve spam emails that seem
> to be "From" you?  Sadly, the "From" address is very easily forged, and
> there is little you can do about it.  If you look at the headers of
> such
> a forged message, you'll see that it never passed through your
> netwinder.  The only way to stop these is on the receiver end, by
> adding
> verification check to make sure the message really came from you.  Or
> keep track of known spammer addresses and block them, again on the
> receiver side, this is known as "RBL" (Realtime Blocking Lists).

Indeed.. apparently the mail-servers of many ISPs are not setup cleverly
enough. It has always surprised me that any email address coming from forged
"From" address do not get checked for being genuine..

Jan Rinze.