Filesystems for new hard disk drive

Andrew E Mileski andrewm at isoar.ca
Fri Mar 18 10:14:44 EST 2005

François Jacques wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Anyone tried the "alternative" filesystems such as JFS, XFS or ReiserFS on
> the Netwinder? Did you get better performance than with ext3fs?

I use ext3, but for reliability and not performance.  XFS really sucks
for reliability, though it is supposed to be fast.  In my opinion, XFS
is more trouble than it's worth.  If you insist on other fs, Reiser is
a better choice.  I don't have any experience with JFS, but I don't
believe it is as mature as Resiser.

> I'm thinking of using the JFS since it appears to be the filesystem that is
> the less CPU intensive while providing better performance than ext3fs, but
> usual benchmarks are done on higher systems. I'm wondering how the Netwinder
> perform with those filesystems.

As long as the boot partition is ext2, you can pretty much run anything.
You can get into situations though where the system won't boot at all,
requiring moving the drive to another machine to recover, but this is
quite rare.

--
Andrew E. Mileski
NetWinder.ORG