Hard disk replacement

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Wed Mar 16 11:16:35 EST 2005

François Jacques wrote:

> The FAQ sez: <It supports up to 256MB of RAM and hard disks over 30GB in
> size.> Is the upper limit known or does that mean that nobody ever tried it?
> <grin>

Netwinder.org is (was) running with 120GB without any problems - though
you do need support in your kernel, the very old kernels might not
handle it.  Using the "current" 2.4.19-rmk7-nw1 works.  The only issue
is startup current requirements, but on the 2.5" drives that is rarely a
problem.  For the 3.5" drives it can be an issue.

> Also, I’d like to keep the exact same configuration/files/etc. once the new
> hard drive is installed. I’m looking at ways to backup/restore the
> partitions and,so far, I’ve looked at tar and cpio. Which way can give me
> the best results? IIRC, the NetWinder images (rescue, main) were created
> using tar?

Tar is generally the easiest way to go.  If your power supply is big
enough, you can actually put both hard disks into the netwinder and do a
direct drive-to-drive copy.  Just like master/slave on a regular PC.

Cheers
-Ralph