troubles Compiling a kernel.

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Fri Jan 7 15:56:34 EST 2005

ninjasuit2000-netwinder at yahoo.com wrote:

 > /usr/include/bits/local_lim.h:36:26: linux/limits.h:
 > No such file or directory

You likely won't be able to compile most anything on this system - it
appears to be missing standard kernel headers.  Install kernel-headers
package first.

Or as simpler fix you can use the kernel source itself, this means you
have to change the /usr/src/linux symbolic link to point to the actual
kernel source tree you are building.

 > I'm not sure what the cause is. But any help would be
 > greatly appreciated since I was planning on doing a
 > kernel build with some additional patches to provid
 > support for integrating iptables with ethernet
 > bridging to build a transparent firewall...

You know you need special patches on top of regular kernels to run them
on ARM processors, right?  Also all of the 2.4 kernels on netwinder.org
incldue iptables support already.  Not sure about bridging (can't
remember, check the arch/arm/def-configs/netwinder file).

-Ralph