DMA with current 2.4.x kernels

Ralph Siemsen ralphs at netwinder.org
Mon Apr 11 18:04:23 EDT 2005

François Jacques wrote:

> Are you using both the Tulip and NE2000 NICs?

Usually one or the other, not both simultanously.  I use the tulip on
almost all my systems.  One board produces "system error occurred"
kernel messages, so I use the NE2k on that one.  And on my gateway
machine I use both the Tulip and NE2k ports simultanously.

All the systems except the gateway are headless, no video, mouse,
keyboard are connected... and no sound is used.  So the ISA bus troubles
don't really affect me.

> Yippee. I wouldn't mind going back to 2.4.19, if ReiserFS was stable on that
> version. Well, I could try booting from the network with 2.4.19, mounting
> /boot only and then try to enable DMA on the hard disk along with the NICs.

Ah the esoteric filesystems :)  Also something to check is if your HDD
supports DMA.  Most do, but some of the older ones don't...  is it the
original HDD or an aftermarket one?

One of these day's I'll do a more recent 2.4.xx patch for netwinder ;)

-R