Arches that don't support PREEMPT

Anton Ivanov anton.ivanov at cambridgegreys.com
Tue Sep 19 07:21:39 PDT 2023

On 19/09/2023 14:42, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2023 at 03:37:24PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:

>>> Sounds like three-and-a-half architectures which could be queued up for
>>> removal right behind ia64 ...
>>
>> The agreement to kill off ia64 wasn't an invitation to kill off other stuff
>> that people are still working on! Can we please not do this?
>
> If you're working on one of them, then surely it's a simple matter of
> working on adding CONFIG_PREEMPT support :-)

In the case of UML adding preempt will be quite difficult. I looked at this a few years back.

At the same time it is used for kernel test and other stuff. It is not exactly abandonware on a CPU found in archaeological artifacts of past civilizations like ia64.

Anton R. Ivanov
Cambridgegreys Limited. Registered in England. Company Number 10273661
https://www.cambridgegreys.com/