UML for arm64

Benjamin Berg benjamin at sipsolutions.net
Thu Jun 22 13:13:56 PDT 2023

Hi,

On Thu, 2023-06-22 at 21:41 +0200, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2023-06-22 at 13:22 -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
> > I'm interested in getting UML working on Arm. Is anyone aware of any
> > efforts to do this already?
>
> Not me ... But yeah, agree that it seems likely to require some
> refactoring, even if _some_ degree of attempts were made to keep arch-
> specific things there ...
>
> There might be a ton of arch-specific things in the ptrace code too

At least a lot of the register handling, but that will always be
somewhat architecture specific.

> ... , so perhaps it'd be easier to start with the seccomp-based model:
>
> https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/linux-um/list/?series=329466
>
> But that's not really done yet either.

Yes, though I have quite some updates locally that solve the security
issues (i.e. prevent host syscalls from userspace). So, it does need
rebasing and I am sure bugfixes, but I think it is getting into a
pretty good shape overall.

Either way, the old patchset will give you a good idea about how it all
works, the changes are mostly in the details. I am happy to push out a
new version sooner rather than later if it might help with any efforts
on your side.

Benjamin