[RFC v7 00/21] Unifying LKL into UML

Hajime Tazaki thehajime at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 08:12:40 EDT 2020

Hello Anton,

On Wed, 07 Oct 2020 22:30:03 +0900,
Anton Ivanov wrote:

> On 06/10/2020 10:44, Hajime Tazaki wrote:
> > This is another spin of the unification of LKL into UML.  Based on the
> > discussion of v4 patchset, we have tried to address issue raised and
> > rewrote the patchset from scratch.  The summary is listed in the
> > changelog below.
> >
> > Although there are still bugs in the patchset, we'd like to ask your
> > opinions on the design we changed.
> >
> > The milestone section is also updated: this patchset is for the
> > milestone 1, though the common init API is still not implemented yet.
> >

> > Changes in rfc v7:
> > - preserve `make ARCH=um` syntax to build UML
> > - introduce `make ARCH=um UMMODE=library` to build library mode
> > - fix undefined symbols issue during modpost
> > - clean up makefiles (arch/um, tools/um)
>
> Hi Hajime, hi Tavi,
>
> Our starting point should be that it does not break the existing build. It still does.

I agree with the starting point.

> If I build a "stock configuration" UML after applying the patchset
> the resulting vmlinux is not executable.

Ah, I confirmed the issue.
I was only trying to make the `linux` binary compatible, not vmlinux.

Because vmlinux is now build as a relocatable object, this is
something we need to figure out if we wish to keep vmlinux executable.

Do you think we should make vmlinux executable even if we have the
file linux executable ? If yes, we will work on this to fix the issue.

> On the positive side, it builds cleanly now. I will try to go
> through the rest of the patchset later today and see if there is
> anything else that needs fixing before we do the next version.

thanks for your time.

-- Hajime