set_page_dirty vs truncate

Matthew Wilcox willy at infradead.org
Sat Dec 19 01:50:57 EST 2020

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 10:10:01PM -0800, John Hubbard wrote:
> On 12/18/20 9:18 PM, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> > > The comments are, I believe, not stale.  Here's some syzbot
> > > reports which indicate that ext4 is seeing races between set_page_dirty()
> > > and truncate():
> > >
> > >   https://groups.google.com/g/syzkaller-lts-bugs/c/s9fHu162zhQ/m/Phnf6ucaAwAJ
> > >
> > > The reproducer includes calls to ftruncate(), so that would suggest
> > > that's what's going on.
> >
> > Hmmm ... looks like __set_page_dirty_nobuffers() has a similar problem:
> >
> > {
> >          lock_page_memcg(page);
> >          if (!TestSetPageDirty(page)) {
> >                  struct address_space *mapping = page_mapping(page);
> >                  unsigned long flags;
> >
> >                  if (!mapping) {
> >                          unlock_page_memcg(page);
> >                          return 1;
> >                  }
> >
> >                  xa_lock_irqsave(&mapping->i_pages, flags);
> >                  BUG_ON(page_mapping(page) != mapping);
> >
> > sure, we check that the page wasn't truncated between set_page_dirty()
> > and the call to TestSetPageDirty(), but we can truncate dirty pages
> > with no problem.  So between the call to TestSetPageDirty() and
> > the call to xa_lock_irqsave(), the page can be truncated, and the
> > BUG_ON should fire.
> >
> > I haven't been able to find any examples of this, but maybe it's just a very
> > narrow race.  Does anyone recognise this signature?  Adding the filesystems
> > which use __set_page_dirty_nobuffers() directly without extra locking.
>

> That sounds like the same *kind* of failure that Jan Kara and I were
> seeing on live systems[1], that led eventually to the gup-to-pup
> conversion exercise.
>
> That crash happened due to calling set_page_dirty() on pages that had no
> buffers on them [2]. And that sounds like *exactly* the same thing as
> calling __set_page_dirty_nobuffers() without extra locking. So I'd
> expect that it's Just Wrong To Do, for the same reasons as Jan spells
> out very clearly in [1].

Interesting.  It's a bit different, *but* Jan's race might be what's
causing this symptom.  The reason is that the backtrace contains
set_page_dirty_lock() which holds the page lock.  So there can't be
a truncation race because truncate holds the page lock when calling
->invalidatepage.

That said, the syzbot reproducer doesn't have any O_DIRECT in it
either.  So maybe this is some other race?