[GIT PULL] Reset controller fixes for v4.14

Olof Johansson olof at lixom.net
Wed Oct 4 17:36:49 PDT 2017

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 11:46 AM, Vineet Gupta
<Vineet.Gupta1 at synopsys.com> wrote:
> Hi Olof,
>
> On 10/03/2017 06:10 PM, Olof Johansson wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 06:12:59PM +0200, Philipp Zabel wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear arm-soc-maintainers,
>>>
>>> please consider merging this tag for v4.14. It removes the "v1" suffix
>>> from the newly merged HSDK reset driver, fixes its Kconfig dependencies,
>>> and adds back the DT binding documentation that I accidentally dropped
>>> onto the floor when applying the original patch.
>>>
>>> regards
>>> Philipp
>>>
>>> The following changes since commit
>>> 2bd6bf03f4c1c59381d62c61d03f6cc3fe71f66e:
>>>
>>>    Linux 4.14-rc1 (2017-09-16 15:47:51 -0700)
>>>
>>> are available in the git repository at:
>>>
>>>    git://git.pengutronix.de/git/pza/linux.git tags/reset-fixes-for-4.14
>>>
>>> for you to fetch changes up to 544e3bf4f0e8278400f19ca7918a3cdf2548b4eb:
>>>
>>>    reset: Restrict RESET_HSDK to ARC_SOC_HSDK or COMPILE_TEST (2017-09-21
>>> 12:44:01 +0200)

>>> Reset controller fixes for v4.14
>>>
>>> - Remove misleading HSDK v1 suffix, as there is no v2 planned
>>> - Add missing DT binding documentation for HSDK reset driver
>>> - Fix HSDK reset driver dependencies
>>

>> Merged, thanks.
>

> What's the tentative plan for this hitting mainline since I have pending ARC
> HSDK DT changes to use the new DT binding. If it is not goign to be
> 4.14-rc4, is it OK for me to pull this branch into ARC tree as well and send
> to Linus' way before armsoc pull request. Does it matter if Linux gets same
> changes via 2 tree !
>
> P.S. Consider this no-ob question since I don't use merge commits in my
> typical workflow !

Linus just merged it so it will be part of -rc4. In general, a one-off
patch being duplicate is not a big deal, but one dealing with renames
like this can cause conflicts when merged as two patches so it's
better to use a shared base.

In the future, if you anticipate this being needed, you can always
request the maintainer to apply the fix to a stable branch that you
can use as a base for your work. That way the specific commit will
only be in the tree once, even if it comes in via two paths.

-Olof