[RFC 0/6] glibc port to ARC architecture

Vineet Gupta Vineet.Gupta1 at synopsys.com
Mon Nov 6 14:51:56 PST 2017

On 06/27/2017 05:00 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> On 06/27/2017 10:00 AM, Vineet Gupta wrote:
>>> This is a Request for comments for glibc port to ARC architecture.
>>> http://www.synopsys.com/IP/ProcessorIP/ARCProcessors/Pages/default.aspx
>>>
>>> The Linux kernel, uClibc, buildroot have been upstream for quite some time.
>>
>> Is it possible to build the new port with scripts/build-many-glibcs.py?
>
> More specifically:
>
> Any new port should have support added to build-many-glibcs.py for all
> ABIs supported by the port (e.g. both endiannesses, if you support both BE
> and LE, and any other ABI variants).

I added the trivial bits to build-many-glibcs.py for supporting ARC, but it seems
there are some roadblocks.

1. There are still some in-flight patches for gcc/binutils upstreaming. The latest
working versions are hoisted on on SNPS github portal, but that won't fly I guess.
Anyhow for now, the upstream versions are likely to suffice for say building part.

2. The immediate (and embarrassing) issue is trying to figure out how to make the
build-many-glibcs.py script work. A wiki page for new ports would have helped a lot.

   - How do I call it the first time, with my existing version of glibc.
     The checkout process, gets upstream glibc and tries to build that instead.

   - So I created a src directory manually, will all other tools and glibc being a
     symlink to my existing glibc tree and calling it as follows

$ test-glibc/src/glibc>./scripts/build-many-glibcs.py <abs-path>/test-glibc
compilers  arc-linux-gnu

FAIL: compilers-arc-linux-gnu check-host-libraries
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils rm
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils mkdir
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils configure
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils build

I'm missing obvious/simple stuff, but this is a new env for me.

-Vineet