rsi_91x: Low bandwidth: sends ~100 Kbits/sec, receives ~1.5 Mbits/sec

Alexey Brodkin Alexey.Brodkin at synopsys.com
Fri Dec 15 03:20:41 PST 2017

Hi Prameela,

On Fri, 2017-12-15 at 11:13 +0530, Prameela Rani Garnepudi wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
>
> Please use the attached patch to improve TX throughput. We will be
> submitting this patch along with few others soon.

Could you please specify which branch this patch is based on?
I tried to apply on 4.14.5 (whatever is latests in "linux-4.14.y")
but first 3 hunks failed to apply.

Maybe there're other dependencies?

Also a couple of questions about this patch.
Even though I'm not a networking/Wi-Fi expert of any kind but just
looking at your changes:

1. I assume for upstreaming that patch will be split in 5 seperate patches
   each addressing its own item instead of doing all at once, right?

2. The only obvious change that might help me with bandwidth is increase
   of a number of aggregated Tx frames. But bumping from 6 to 8 doesn't look
   as a significant improvement. How that might bring Tx bandwidth at least to
   what I see on Rx, i.e. make things 10 times faster?

Also while at it I'm wondering why 5GHz mode didn't work for me even though
"iw list" reports 5 GHz mode supported:
----------------------->8------------------
# iw list
Wiphy phy0
      Frequencies:
           * 5180 MHz [36] (20.0 dBm) (no IR)

# cat /etc/hostapd.conf
interface=wlan0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
ssid=HSDK-AP
hw_mode=a
channel=36

# hostapd -B /etc/hostapd.conf
Starting hostapd: Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf
rsi_91x: ===> Interface UP <===
rfkill: Cannot open RFKILL contrIPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
ol device
wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Configured channel (36) not found from the channel list of current mode (2) IEEE 802.11a
wlan0: IEEE 802.11 Hardware does not support configured channel
Could not select hw_mode and channel. (-3)
wlan0: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
wlan0: AP-DISABLED
wlan0: Unable to setup interface.
wlan0: interface state DISABLED->DISABLED
wlan0: AP-DISABLED
hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan0 wasn't started