ath9k-htc on OHCI -> bogus usb xfer

Alexey Brodkin Alexey.Brodkin at synopsys.com
Wed Jul 6 02:30:28 PDT 2016

Hi Oleksij,

On Wed, 2016-07-06 at 11:09 +0200, fixed-term.Oleksij.Rempel wrote:

> On 06.07.2016 10:45, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
> >
> > Hi Oleksij,

> > > I did some tests for 2 years on OHCI controller on x86. There was no
> > > noticable issues. It was even a bit faster then Intels EHCI. I don't
> > > think OHCI alone is the source of this problem.
> > Well I was also surprised how well that dongle works with that board in
> > OHCI mode. I saw quite consistent ~4-5 Mbit/second rates when doing Speedtest
> > from my smartphone. So IMHO it's completely usable. Especially on that kind of
> > HW which has main CPU running at just 100MHz.
> >

> > > On other side, so far i know, this adapter claims to provide usb full
> > > speed support, (Not only high speed) and may use different usb
> > > descriptor for this. May be this is the problem.
> > So is there something we may do with all that?
> Sure...
>
> This shows that EP4 is Bluk in full speed mode. And it is defined by a
> boot loader of this chip:
> grep -R USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE *
> sboot/magpie_1_1/sboot/hif/usb/src/usb_table.c:
> m2BYTE(USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE, USB_FS_EP4_MAX_PACKET_SIZE),
> sboot/magpie_1_1/sboot/hif/usb/src/usb_table.h:#define
> USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE            bUSB_EP_TYPE_BULK
> sboot/magpie_1_1/inc/usb_table.h:#define USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE
>  bUSB_EP_TYPE_BULK
> target_firmware/magpie_fw_dev/target/inc/k2/usb_table.h:#define
> USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE            bUSB_EP_TYPE_BULK
> target_firmware/magpie_fw_dev/target/inc/magpie/usb_table.h:#define
> USB_FS_EP4_ATTRIBUTE            bUSB_EP_TYPE_BULK
>

> So, there are fallowing variants to fix it:
> a) patch full speed usb descriptor in firmware and add usb reinit
> support to the driver.
> b) add support of different EP4 types.
>
> In any case, some one need to implement it... right now i have time only
> for mentoring.

That's understood.

> It is hard to say, which solution is better. It will affect performance
> and stability. We will need lots of testing on different HW variants to
> know it.
> May be usb maeling list can give some input here?

Let's hope so :)

> Currently we have fallowing issues:
> - if EP4 and EP3 are Interrupt, it works slower on High Speed controller.
> - if EP4 and EP3 are Bulk, the work better on High Speed and brake on
> Super Speed controllers. This adapter support my 64B packets and if we
> have more, fifo of this adapter will overrun.
> - Full Speed is currently unknown field for me, and it looks like it was
> never actually working properly.

But given that dongle seem to work fine with muted warning do you think it's
fine to continue that way or not?

I mean if there's a chance this "bogus usb xfer" might affect something during
execution? Otherwise if that's just not a crucial problem or not a problem at all
may be we may just think how to make this warning not so annoying (in my case
I saw never ending flood of those warnings so that basically stopped me from using
the board after that warning started to appear.

-Alexey