vc4.ko brings unusable&unstable ALSA sinks

Ryutaroh Matsumoto ryutaroh at ict.e.titech.ac.jp
Wed Mar 31 02:13:59 BST 2021

> "pavucontrol". It shows "5.1 multichannel" and "stereo" and "off"
> in Japanese (I was unable to set the languate to English).
> The driver is vc4hdmi. It seems somewhat hopeful...

The attached screenshot is with snd_bcm2835.ko driver.
In /etc/modules the driver was loaded with
snd_bcm2835 enable_hdmi=1 enable_headphones=0 enable_compat_alsa=1
while vc4.ko was blacklisted.

The screenshot also shows "multichannel", "stereo", "mono", and "off".
snd_bcm2835.ko also shows intention of supporting the multichannel...
But I hear no sound neither with the default setting of task-xfce-desktop.

On the other hand, if my memory is correct,
manually writing "module-alsa-card device_id=number" in /etc/paulse/default.pa
gave working sound with snd_bcm2835 and paplay.

I am also experiencing the difficulty of pulseaudio + audio drivers...

Anyway, I am happy with module_blacklist=snd_bcm2835.ko for my use case.

Best regards, Ryutaroh