SPI lock-up with zero-length transfers

Robin Murphy robin.murphy at arm.com
Thu Jan 28 10:19:22 EST 2021

On 2021-01-28 14:33, Nicolas Saenz Julienne wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-01-28 at 14:26 +0000, Phil Elwell wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Commit [1] - an optimisation of the PIO transfers loops of spi-bcm2835
>> - causes lockups if a zero-length transfer is attempted. The commit
>> message says that "[t]he blind and counted loops are always called
>> with nonzero count", which is technically true but ignores the fact
>> that count can be reduced to zero before entering the loop if tfr->len
>> is zero.
>>
>> A workaround has been added in the raspberrypi/linux repo that
>> explicitly checks for zero-length transfers in
>> bcm2835_spi_transfer_one, but perhaps it would be better to catch this
>> degenerate case in the common framework code - I'm not an SPI expert.
>
> Me neither to be honest, but I'll have a look at it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Oops, sorry - I suppose I assumed that zero-length requests make little
enough sense that they wouldn't be a thing; I also have no practical
experience with the SPI subsystem.

FWIW those patches were only ever meant as an illustrations of "things
that already have far, far more impact than an extra bit test and
conditional return would" from a codegen PoV, and they did come with the
caveat that I had no means of testing them :)

Cheers,
Robin.