can, tcan4x5x: look to merge rpi support into rpi kernel tree

Nicolas Saenz Julienne nsaenzjulienne at suse.de
Fri Feb 12 08:20:04 EST 2021

On Fri, 2021-02-12 at 10:01 +0000, Torin Cooper-Bennun wrote:
> The Texas Instruments CAN-FD controller, TCAN4550, has kernel support in the
> tcan4x5x module.
>
> Until a recent patch, Raspberry Pi was unable to utilise the driver, as the
> module supported only SPI controllers with native 32-bit word support (we
> only have 8-bit support).
>
> Said patch was merged into net-next in pull request c10b377ff6, which also
> includes a larger rework of tcan4x5x:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/netdev/net-next.git/commit/?id=c10b377ff670744e1f04f902ff4fe47ea8dd32bd
>
> What's the protocol for merging patches like this into the rpi kernel tree?
> Are mainline changes the only changes merged in?

AFAIK the RPi downstream tree only tracks whatever appears in Linus' kernel
tree. So you'll have to wait until that happens. And even then, the patches
will only be available in the downstream tree. They still have to package it
and distribute it. Version bumps happen every so often, so you'll have to be
patient.

If it's really urgent to you, I suggest you backport the patches and send a
pull request to the current downstream branch being released at the moment (I
think it's rpi-5.10.y). Then you'll have to persuade them to accept it, but
that's on you :).

Regards,
Nicolas