vc4.ko brings unusable&unstable ALSA sinks, Re: vc4.ko brings unusable&unstable ALSA sinks

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Thu Apr 1 15:46:24 BST 2021

On donderdag 1 april 2021 02:47:06 CEST Ryutaroh Matsumoto wrote:
> > But I just realized that it's 'only' 5.1, not 7.1 ...
>
> I did not find 5.1 or 7.1 or mulctichannel with snd_bcm2835.ko with
> module_blacklist=vc4 on my RPi4B...
> I only found "stereo" in snd_bcm2835.ko with pacmd list-sinks.

The explicit mention of 5.1 was with vc4hdmi.
I know that there was a multichannel option, without an explicit mention of
how many channels, which I'm reasonably certain was with snd_bcm2835.
There's a good chance that that was with a much earlier kernel, possibly 4.19
or 5.4.

In my perception, a lot of things changed wrt RPi/VC4 and thus audio with the
5.10 kernel. That contributed to my confusion (and frustration) about what I
should do/enable/disable or configure in a wayX or wayY.

HTH,
   Diederik