CLK_OF_DECLARE advice required

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed May 31 09:47:50 PDT 2017

On 05/31/2017 10:28 AM, Phil Elwell wrote:
> On 31/05/2017 16:58, Stefan Wahren wrote:

>>> This sounds like the wrong approach. Forcing the port to use a
>>> different clock rate than the user requests would prevent anyone from
>>> using that port for its standard purpose; it'd turn what should be a
>>> runtime decision into a compile-time decision.
>>>
>>> Are you sure there's no way to simply select the correct baud rate on
>>> the port? I see plenty of references to configuring custom baud rates
>>> under Linux when I search Google, e.g.:

>>> "How to set a custom baud rate on Linux?"

>>> "Re: Terminal interface and non-standard baudrates"
>>>

>> I remember this gist from Peter Hurley:
>>
>> https://gist.github.com/peterhurley/fbace59b55d87306a5b8
>
> Thank you, Stephen and Stephan. Stephen - the clock scaling is applied by a DT overlay so
> it effectively a runtime setting, but I take your point about the elegance of the solution.
> Stefan - anybaud looks promising, although I would have preferred for users to continue to
> use the existing user-space tools - kernel changes can be deployed more easily.
>
> For my edification, can you pretend for a moment that the application was a valid one and
> answer any of my original questions?:
>
> 1. Should all system clock drivers use OF_CLK_DECLARE? Doing so would probably
> avoid this problem, but further initialisation order dependencies may
> require more drivers to be initialised early.
>
> 2. Why does the clock initialisation hook registered by OF_CLK_DECLARE not
> return any indication of success? If it did, and if the OF_POPULATED flag
> was only set after successful initialisation then the normal retrying of
> a deferred probe would also avoid this problem.
>
> 3. Would adding the OF_CLK_DECLARE hook prevent the use of the devm_ managed
> functions like devm_kzalloc? If not, why doesn't fixed-factor-clock use it?

Sorry, I don't know the answers to these questions; I expect the clock
subsystem maintainers will have to chime in. My only general comment is
that probe deferral is the typical mechanism to handle
driver/device/object dependencies, but I have no idea how that would
interact with static initialization hooks like OF_CLK_DECLARE.