RFC: Pin (mis)configuration

Michael Zoran mzoran at crowfest.net
Mon Feb 27 07:10:49 PST 2017

On Sat, 2017-02-25 at 23:28 +0100, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> recently we stumbled about some pins ([1], [2]) on the Raspberry Pi 3
> which are controlled by the firmware and shouldn't be changed by
> Linux. So based on the dt-blob.dts [3] i created a reference table
> for those affected pins in order to avoid such issues in the future
> [4].
>
> It would be nice if someone could review this table.
>
> After that i suggest the following steps:
>
> 1. Publish this reference on the firmware wiki at Github
> 2. Add comments in order to mark the relevant pins in the DTS files
> as reserved
>
> Regards
> Stefan
>
> [1] - http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-rpi-kernel/2016-Nove
> mber/004742.html
> [2] - http://www.spinics.net/lists/devicetree/msg164398.html
> [3] - https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/blob/master/extra/dt-bl
> ob.dts
> [4] - https://gist.github.com/lategoodbye/7f69fe3a18e173c6251d81a1216
> 8e5e4

I didn't see any responses(but then again I sometimes get flooded with
e-mails that are 2 weeks old).

Perhaps it would make sense to post on the RPI firmware github page?
I'm rather certain they have access to the source code of the firmware,
so it would be very easy for them to review your table.  They also seem
to be rather willing to answer firmware questions, even for things that
arn't documented.

Also, as people probably know their is a pull request pending for a
gpio based driver for the expander that calls into the firmware through
mailbox.   I don't think they are planning to submit it themselves to
upstream, but it might be a good starting point or reference for an
upstream driver.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/1852