Functional testing of mainline vchiq driver

Michael Zoran mzoran at crowfest.net
Tue Oct 25 07:45:16 PDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-10-24 at 18:09 +0200, Stefan Wahren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to submit some patches for the vchiq in staging, but i don't
> know
> how to test the specific function of the vchiq driver in mainline (i
> don't want to backport to the downstream kernel).
>
> I've seen some userspace tools like vchiq_test. Which parameter
> settings
> are recommend?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Stefan

Hi,

Just to add some additional information...

1) The source to vchiq_test is at:
	https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

   That way it's possible to recompile it to add debugging
information/symbols or to recompile it for a different architecture
such as arm64.  It's also good if you don't/can't use Raspbian for some
reason.

2) I think vchiq_test requires the broadcom vc character device which
isn't in mainline yet.  But I could be wrong.  So testing directly out
of the mainline tree is somewhat difficult.

The downstream kernel has been ported to 4.9 so it should be very close
to the same source tree as mainline though.