Building mainline kernel in RPi 3

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Oct 21 09:00:42 PDT 2016

Luis de Bethencourt <luisbg at osg.samsung.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the archive of the
> mailing list.
>
> With Raspberry Pi 3 support now in 4.8, I want to run mainline on mine.
> All the instructions I've found are old and based on RPi2. [0] I've tried this
> with no success and I also tried a simpler method which I use in other embedded
> platforms, which ideally should work:
>
> $ ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE="aarch64-linux-gnu-" make defconfig
> $ ./scripts/config --enable CONFIG_ARCH_BCM2835
> $ ARCH=arm64 CROSS_COMPILE="aarch64-linux-gnu-" make -j 4
>
> $ cp -rv arch/arm64/boot/Image /media/boot/kernel-new.img
> $ cp -rv arch/arm64/boot/dts/broadcom/bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb /media/boot/
>
> $ echo "kernel=kernel-new.img" > /media/luisbg/boot/config.txt
> $ echo "device_tree=bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb" > /media/luisbg/boot/config.txt
>

> Can anybody recommend me a resource or a list of steps to follow to do this?
>
> It would be really cool to use the RPi3 for "on the road" kernel development, it
> is much more convenient to use for this than devices that need to plugged to the
> wall like the ODROID XU4 which I currently use.

You're going to want the defconfig bits from
https://github.com/anholt/linux/commits/bcm2835-defconfig-64-next

Also, the defconfig is thoroughly based on modules, so you'll need to
install them, and may need an initrd.  initrds are a pain to set up for
cross compiling, so you might just grep .config for 2835 and RASPBERRYPI
and build in as many of those as you can.