Strange RPi USB Audio Issue

Arne Caspari arne at unicap-imaging.org
Sat Nov 12 10:56:42 PST 2016

Hi all!

I encounter a strange issue while using USB Audio DACs with the
raspberry pi:

In my buildroot environment, I get corrupted audio when using USB 2.0
audio DACs on the raspberry pi. Every once in a while the audio data in
the usb packets contain only zeroes for some 10-30 samples which
produce audible clicks in the output.

Now, if I use Raspbian, I can not provoke this issue no matter what.
The audio is always fine with Raspbian.

I tried anything I could think of to find a difference between my
environment and Raspbian but I did not find the piece of software that
is relevant for this failure:

- I used the same kernel image and bootloaders from raspbian in my
environment - the issue remains
- I used my kernel image on raspbian - the issue still does not occur
there
- I used the same libasound version like raspbian - the issue remains
- I use the same cmdline settings for USB like raspbian

If anybody has an idea what I could try or what might be the difference
between raspbian and a generic buildroot environment, I would be very
grateful to hear about it.

Thanks,

/Arne