Including Raspberry Pi -next trees in linux-next

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Jan 5 14:52:40 PST 2016

On 01/05/2016 03:32 PM, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Eric,

>>> Typically maintainers merge everything together into a single "for-next"
>>> to maintain a reasonable set of branches. I guess it doesn't affect me
>>> so my opinion isn't too relevant though:-)
>>
>> In my experience the common for-next branch works best because
>> you can change the set of branches that get merged into it as
>> needed. If there are 6 branches today, it's quite likely that there
>> will be another one in the future and if only one branch gets
>> merged into for-next, you don't need to worry about updating the list.
>
> Certainly, that would be easier for me.  Though you may want to keep
> the drm-vc4-next branch separate since that get merged via a different
> tree (and can appear at a different point in my merge list).
>
> It does mean an extra step for you i.e. you would need to merge all the
> relevant branches into the single "for-next" branch, but that should
> not be too big an imposition.

FWIW, I almost always build/test the for-next branch rather than (or
sometimes in addition to) the individual branches, and since I do so
much with that branch, I use some scripts to automate generating it, and
pushing all the branches to kernel.org. The Tegra version of those
scripts is at:

> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tegra/maint-scripts.git/tree/

In particular, see merge-linux-tegra.sh and its configuration file
tegra-branches.sh.dot. Also push-linux-tegra.sh does all the pushes.