[RFC linus/master 0/4] rpi: support regulator and usbphy

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Wed Oct 28 21:39:55 PDT 2015

On 10/25/2015 12:50 AM, Alexander Aring wrote:
> Ok. On which branch should I base my patches? I don't get it, there is
> some linux-rpi git repository at kernel.org [0] but it seems nobody used
> it anymore. I am confused, which is the maintainer branch for doing rpi
> stuff?
>
> I can understand when I doing regulator or phy stuff then I can send it
> to the MAINTAINERS repository. Is there no rpi-repository which we can
> simple apply all patches if they get an acked from the corresponding
> maintainers?

Generally the RPi maintainer applies patches only for core/low-level RPi
support (e.g. code in arch/arm), and individual drivers are applied by
the relevant subsystem maintainer.

./scripts/get_maintainers.pl in the kernel source tree should tell you
the relevant maintainers for each patch/series.

Sometimes dependencies between patches mean that default approach
doesn't work, and the relevant maintainers will ack the relevant patches
so that a whole series can be applied in one tree, which may be either
one of the subsystem/driver trees or the core RPi tree. This means that
when submitting patches, it's important to call out any dependencies on
patches that aren't yet in a released kernel version, so that the
maintainers are aware and can plan where to apply the patches appropriately.

There number of patches in the RPi core repository may be low if all the
RPi related work ends up being applied by other maintainers.