bcm2835 rpi regulator driver to enable usb

Alexander Aring alex.aring at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:56:31 PDT 2015

Hi,

I would like to have some mainline solution to enable the power for the
dwc2 controller inside the raspberry pi. The reason is that I want to boot
a mainline Raspberry Pi (not from u-boot) and having ethernet support.

I also don't want to add hacks into bootloader which enables the usb
controller before booting linux.

I just see that the firmware driver is already on the way. So I want to
ask what the best method is to add such support.

I came up to the idea to add a regulator driver, somewhere in
"drivers/regulator/raspberrypi.c" (keeping firmware naming convention), which
supports to enable the usb host controller over the firmware driver.

Is this a mainline acceptable solution?
Or are there some patches which needs some little cleanups to add such
support?
Or is somebody already working on it?

Thanks.

- Alex