[Possible bug] reboot doesn't work for Raspberry Pi

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Tue Oct 6 19:32:49 PDT 2015

On 10/02/2015 12:13 PM, Martin Sperl wrote:

>> On 02.10.2015, at 17:14, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:

>>> Have you enabled the watchdog driver?
>>>
>>> ARM: bcm2835: Move the restart/power_off handling to the WDT driver
>>> Since the WDT is what's used to drive restart and power off, it makes
>>> more sense to keep it there, where the regs are already mapped and
>>> definitions for them provided.  Note that this means you may need to
>>> add CONFIG_BCM2835_WDT to retain functionality of your kernel.
>>
>> It hadn't cross my mind that that change required a defconfig change too. Perhaps you could submit a patch?
>>

> Should it not be a more explicit require/selects in Kconfig instead?
>
> That it gets included with older .configs as well.

The system works well enough without this feature. select is usually
best for things that are absolutely necessary for the system to run at
all (e.g. support for the CPU architecture), and everything else is
usually left configurable so people can turn it off if they want. I
could see the argument for "default y" in the Kconfig, but probably not
"select" for this.