testing for RPi chroot's kernel arch -- getting different results (anrv7l vs armv6l) depending on how I test. why?

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Thu Sep 4 07:55:59 PDT 2014

On 09/04/2014 07:51 AM, grantksupport at operamail.com wrote:
> I've created & populated a Raspbian/*jessie* chroot on my openSUSE host.  It'll be used for cross-building for my RPi.
>
> When checking the chroot's kernel arch, I get different results.
>
>  From my hosts' shell,
>
> 	chroot /opt/raspbian-chroot bash -c "uname -rm"
> 		3.16.1-7.g90bc0f1-desktop armv7l
>
> or, 1st entering the chroot,
>
> 	chroot /opt/raspbian-chroot
> 	uname -rm
> 		3.16.1-7.g90bc0f1-desktop armv6l
>

> Notice -- 'armv7l' vs 'armv6l'.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but I'm curious what the following says:

$ chroot /opt/raspbian-chroot bash
$ uname -rm    # inside the chroot

I wonder if bash somehow changes the environment, or perhaps running
bach -c skips some login scripts that do/don't do something to change
the environment? You might try editing /etc/profile and similar, and
adding "uname -rm" to various points there to try and track down the issue.