Raspberry Pi Upstreaming

Piotr Król piotr.krol at 3mdeb.com
Fri Oct 17 03:24:00 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 08:47:38PM -0600, Stephen Warren wrote:
> On 10/16/2014 06:02 AM, Lee Jones wrote:
> > So, I'm interested in helping out with the Raspberry Pi Kernel
> > Upstreaming effort.  I found [1], but there isn't any information on
> > the critical stuff; mainlining status, who's working on what,
> > outstanding tasks, etc.
>
> The primary missing features are anything that relies on the VC
> (VideoCore) firmware, i.e.:
>
> * Clocks
> * Display (except via simplefb)
> * Graphics
> * VC firmware mailbox/... driver, as support for the above.

I also would like help with upstreaming effort. I started some work on
integration of patches that lay here and there. I wrote blog post about
this [1]. Unfortunately since I have some embedded development
experience for x86 I still learn ARM and Linux kernel development.

Right now on github repository [2] we have mailbox API v10,
bxm2835-mbox, bcm2835-cpufreq and bcm2835-thermal (last tree from
Lubomir Rintel tree).

> > Is there a Wiki with more information on this?

There is something on foundation repository on GitHub [3] and [4]. I
also try to track some things as issues in rpi-dt-linux repository.

[1] http://pietrushnic.github.io/blog/2014/10/15/raspberry-pi-kernel-repository-aggregating-patches-for-linux-mainline/
[2] https://github.com/pietrushnic/rpi-dt-linux
[3] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/wiki/Upstreaming
[4] https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/wiki/Device-Tree-on-ARCH_BCM2708