problem building bcm235-rpi-b.dtb

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Fri Mar 7 16:24:21 EST 2014

On 03/07/2014 02:10 PM, Vince Weaver wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Mar 2014, Stephen Warren wrote:
>
>> On 03/06/2014 08:32 PM, Vince Weaver wrote:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I built the current bcm2835-next git kernel and it built fine.
>>>
>>> But then I tried to build the dtb file and I can't seem to make it happen.
>>> Regular make didn't build it, and if I try to make it manually
>>>
>>> $ make  bcm235-rpi-b.dtb
>>>  make  bcm235-rpi-b.dtb
>>> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `arch/arm/boot/dts/bcm235-rpi-b.dtb'.
>>> Stop.
>>> make: *** [bcm235-rpi-b.dtb] Error 2
>>
>> Run "make dtbs" instead; that should work.
>
> Doesn't seem to work:
>
> vince at rasp-pi ~/linux-kernel/linux-rpi $ make dtbs
> vince at rasp-pi ~/linux-rpi-nogit $ find arch/arm | grep dtb
> vince at rasp-pi ~/linux-kernel/linux-rpi-nogit $
>
> so nothing gets made at all.
>
> Do I need to reconfigure with the bcm2835 defaults again?  I just did a
> make oldconfig on a config generated with the 3.14-next branch (where this
> all worked just fine).

Which exact branch and commit are you building? What are the complete
set of commands and error output?

You should simply need to do:
make bcm2835_defconfig
make zImage
make dtbs

If you were cross-compiling, you'd need to add ARCH=arm to all of those
commands.

Note: Given you're saying bcm2835 not bcm2708, I assume you're building
an upstream/mainline kernel. If you aren't, then I /think/ the Pi
Foundation kernel doesn't use DT (although I haven't looked at it in
years), so it's not surprising you can't build one.