State of Linux kernel for Raspberry PI.

Alex Bradbury asb at asbradbury.org
Mon Dec 17 11:56:41 EST 2012

On 17 December 2012 16:45, James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How much of the Raspberry PI code is now open source.
> I heard that the GPU driver is now open source.
> What else remains a binary blob in the Raspberry PI distribution?
> Is it only the USB parts that remain binary blobs?
> I am concerned about the ARM side of things. I am aware that all the
> GPU chip's code is still a binary blob.

Absolutely everything specific to the Raspberry Pi on the ARM side is
fully open. USB driver has been open since the beginning. Now the
userland libraries for communicating with the GPU are also open.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux
https://github.com/raspberrypi/userland

Off the top of my head, the only "non-free" (by Debian standards)
stuff we ship in the standard Raspbian image from the downloads page
is various wifi firmware packages and now the Pi Store.

Alex