[PATCH RFC 13/25] drm: Add VRR target frame rate properties
Xaver Hugl
xaver.hugl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 15:21:25 PDT 2026
On Tue, 29 Sept 2026, 15:18 Vidith Madhu, <vmadhu at nvidia.com> wrote:
> My understanding is that flicker may also happen if the refresh rate
> fluctuates significantly within the sinks' range, although I don't know
> how common this is in practice. I would imagine these frame range limits
> would also be useful there to "dampen" the fluctuation.
Judging by our user complaints, it seems to be very common, and I've
been waiting for this API to do exactly that in KWin.
> In any case, if we expect userspace to use the frame range limits for the
> purpose of flicker avoidance, it may make sense to expose a read-only
> connector property for whether the display is susceptible to such
> flickering. For example, NVIDIA G-SYNC monitors are resilient to this and
> it would hinder the user experience to unnecessarily impose such a limit.
Sounds good to me. I think such flicker compensation would need to be
configurable by the end user, but having good defaults (and being able
to simplify display configuration if the driver gives good guarantees)
would be great.
- Xaver
More information about the Linux-rockchip
mailing list