[PATCH v3 12/19] drm/mcde: dsi: don't create a panel_bridge

Linus Walleij linusw at kernel.org
Thu Sep 24 00:51:53 PDT 2026


Hi Luca,

sorry for my slowness!

On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 9:01 AM Luca Ceresoli <luca.ceresoli at bootlin.com> wrote:
> On Tue Sep 22, 2026 at 9:09 AM CEST, Maxime Ripard wrote:

> >> -    } else if (bridge) {
> >> +    if (!bridge) {
> >> +            dev_err(dev, "no bridge\n");
> >> +            return -ENODEV;
> >> +    } else if (!drm_bridge_is_panel(bridge)) {
> >>              /* TODO: AV8100 HDMI encoder goes here for example */
> >>              dev_info(dev, "connected to non-panel bridge (unsupported)\n");
> >>              return -ENODEV;
> >
> > I wonder if we still need that branch. Every panel is a bridge now, and
> > it looks like we don't have any specific panel handling in this driver,
> > so I guess it supports bridges already?
> >
> > Linus, do you know why this condition was here in the first place?
>
> I had the same thought while writing the patch, but I chose to be
> conservative.
>
> Linus, unless you have more info I'm going to apply the patch as
> is. Removing this special case would be welcome as a later patch.

I'd say go ahead as-is.

I do have the idea to code up and submit the AV8100 encoder
and I have the hardware to test it, but every other user should
be using panels directly, and I would be the only non-panel
user so I can deal with it when it comes up.

Yours,
Linus Walleij



More information about the Linux-rockchip mailing list