[PATCH RFC 13/25] drm: Add VRR target frame rate properties

Vidith Madhu vmadhu at nvidia.com
Thu Sep 24 00:01:05 PDT 2026



On Wed, 23 Sep 2026, Nicolas Frattaroli wrote:

> On Wednesday, 23 September 2026 11:51:45 Central European Summer Time Michel Dänzer wrote:
> > On 9/21/26 17:51, Nicolas Frattaroli wrote:
> > > 
> > > + * .. _VRR-MIN-NUMERATOR:
> > > + *
> > > + * "VRR_MIN_NUMERATOR":
> > > + *	Default &drm_crtc integer property forming the numerator of a
> > > + *	numerator/denominator pair of a frame rate to set as the minimum VRR
> > > + *	target rate. Set to 0 to disable.
> > > + *
> > > + * "VRR_MIN_DENOMINATOR":
> > > + *	Default &drm_crtc integer property forming the denominator of a
> > > + *	numerator/denominator pair of a frame rate to set as the minimum VRR
> > > + *	target rate. If :ref:`VRR_MIN_NUMERATOR <VRR-MIN-NUMERATOR>` is not
> > > + *	zero, it must be non-zero.
> > > + *	Otherwise, must also be zero.
> > > + *
> > > + * .. _VRR-MAX-NUMERATOR:
> > > + *
> > > + * "VRR_MAX_NUMERATOR":
> > > + *	Default &drm_crtc integer property forming the numerator of a
> > > + *	numerator/denominator pair of a frame rate to set as the maximum VRR
> > > + *	target rate. Set to 0 to disable.
> > > + *
> > > + * "VRR_MAX_DENOMINATOR":
> > > + *	Default &drm_crtc integer property forming the denominator of a
> > > + *	numerator/denominator pair of a frame rate to set as the maximum VRR
> > > + *	target rate. If :ref:`VRR_MAX_NUMERATOR <VRR-MAX-NUMERATOR>` is not
> > > + *	zero, it must be non-zero. Otherwise, must also be zero.
> > >   */
> > 
> > Is there a reason that DENOMINATOR must be 0 when the corresponding NUMERATOR is? 0 divided by any number is still 0.
> 
> No, I think that's an arbitrary convention I settled on and don't enforce. I
> guess it should be "Otherwise, may also be zero", because the only situation
> I'm making userspace avoid is x/0 where x != 0.
> 
> > > Either way, should these rules be enforced in drm_atomic_crtc_set_property?
> > 
> > Or rather in atomic_check.
> 
> Due to complicating factors like EDID, CinemaVRR, and QMS TFRmin/TFRmax, checking
> the properties for sensible values is done in the HDMI state helpers at the moment.
> 
> If/when there is a similar mechanism for DP, we can probably factor the common
> parts out. I really do hope all drivers (including those that don't use the HDMI
> state helpers) can at least share the hdmi_validate_vrr() logic, but I haven't
> factored this out into an exported function yet because I don't know how similar
> the DisplayPort-equivalent mechanisms requirements are, or how much of the state
> derivation non-state-helper drivers (i.e. i915 and amdgpu) need.
> 
> Kind regards,
> Nicolas Frattaroli

Thanks for bringing up support for VRR features on DP. Concerning the 
frame rate limits themselves, as I mentioned in patch [02/25] I don't 
think there's a reason to limit the validation to HDMI. There is in fact 
an analog of QMS for DP, called DP-FAVT mode - this is quite a bit more 
streamlined than QMS and the validation should be simpler. Would be nice 
to see these properties support that as well (this was briefly discussed 
at DisplayNext HackFest, if I understood access to the DP spec is the 
main blocker here?).

> 
> 
> 


More information about the Linux-rockchip mailing list