[PATCH v5 0/7] describe RTL8125 PCIe NICs on Rockchip boards (and add DT binding)
Ricardo Pardini
ricardo at pardini.net
Wed Sep 23 11:42:32 PDT 2026
On 22/09/2026 11:17, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> On Thu, 10 Sept 2026 at 22:08, Ricardo Pardini via B4 Relay
> <devnull+ricardo.pardini.net at kernel.org> wrote:
>> Several Rockchip rk35xx boards carry on-board Realtek RTL8125 2.5GbE
>> NICs whose PCI function nodes are not described in the DT. Describing
>> them allows for stable ethernetN aliases (matching the GMAC alias
>> convention on these boards) and lets U-Boot's fdt_fixup_ethernet()
>> inject mac-address properties from its ethaddr/ethNaddr env, so MACs
>> stay stable across boots and U-Boot and kernel MAC match.
>>
>> Tested on a NanoPC-T6: /sys/bus/pci/devices/0004:41:00.0/of_node ->
>> /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/pcie at fe190000/pcie at 0,0/ethernet at 0,0 and
>> u-boot correctly adds local-mac-address property there which is
>> correctly picked up kernel-side:
>
> Have you tested this at 2.5Gbps? With which firmware?
> I am asking because I have problems at 2.5Gbps using the firmware from
> linux-firmware (on a different platform, though)
> https://lore.kernel.org/CAMuHMdXPAeHoeaQbM9rXbXukoMbFV+0k28n6sRMw8XF8720WUA@mail.gmail.com
Hi Geert, yes, the RTL8125's on those boards work at 2.5gbps just fine
(both with and without the fixed-function nodes in this series). They do
get quite warm at 2.5gbps. I'm using one of those el-cheapo 8-port
2.5gbps switches.
Currently:
[ 3.254450] r8169 0002:21:00.0 eth0: RTL8125B, 8e:b4:90:97:32:30, XID
641, IRQ 124
...
[ 10.480872] r8169 0002:21:00.0 end0: Link is Up - 2.5Gbps/Full - flow
control rx/tx
# sensors r8169_2_2100:00-mdio-0
r8169_2_2100:00-mdio-0
Adapter: MDIO adapter
temp1: +52.0°C (high = +120.0°C)
I'm using whatever is in Armbian's armbian-firmware package:
# ethtool -i end0 | grep -i firmware
firmware-version: rtl8125b-2_0.0.2 07/13/20
# sha256sum /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125b-2.fw
529bf1c25c97ff52b401090d00ff89cc22351012336e5a0c9662728a3ee909ef
/lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8125b-2.fw
mvg,
Ricardo
>
> Thanks!
>
> Gr{oetje,eeting}s,
>
> Geert
>
> --
> Geert Uytterhoeven -- There's lots of Linux beyond ia32 -- geert at linux-m68k.org
>
> In personal conversations with technical people, I call myself a hacker. But
> when I'm talking to journalists I just say "programmer" or something like that.
> -- Linus Torvalds
More information about the Linux-rockchip
mailing list