arm/rockchip.yaml - many separate entries instead of enums

Heiko Stübner heiko at sntech.de
Tue Mar 29 13:54:37 PDT 2022

Hey :-) ,

Am Dienstag, 29. März 2022, 19:05:24 CEST schrieb Krzysztof Kozlowski:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> I found that Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/rockchip.yaml uses
> pattern of one board per item in oneOf.
>
> This leads to quite big file, with many entries, although gives nice
> description for each board.

that was the original intention in doing it this way, preserving the
normal readability while adding machine readability to it :-)

> I find enum-based pattern, like FSL [1], much more readable and compact.
> What do you think? I could re-organize the arm/rockchip.yaml, but I
> don't want to mess with your preference.

I do like the current way as it does only contains one way of doing it.

As far as I can see, the fsl one has multiple types, like the one you
pointed at, for a list of boards + one soc that works for the simple
plethora of regular boards.

But also additional types that do it similarly to Rockchip like the
	"i.MX6Q Advantech DMS-BA16 boards"
directly below it.

As we have both cases here as well, I really don't like this mix
but instead really like to have only one approach, hence the
one-entry-per-board-family we do in rockchip.yaml [2]

For human readability I really do consider having _one_ way
of describing boards superior to mixing approaches and the
automated parsing doesn't care, as long as the syntax is correct ;-)

Heiko

[2] https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/latest/source/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/arm/rockchip.yaml#L507